Monday, November 24, 2008

Cocktail of the Week #5

So...I am sticking to my classics theme however my original idea of Dick Bradsell's Bramble, one of the first drinks I ever really appreciated and somewhat of a rock in English Bartending culture, has been scrapped due to my decision to go with the original recipe for what is technically, its father...The Gin Fix, taken from Jerry Thomas' Bartenders Guide (1862) 
Now, I'm a big gin fan, I can't get enough and with recipe's like this, I wish it was still as cheap as it used to be...

I have converted the "old style" measures for you into Centiliters...just to ensure there is less time spent on maths and more on drinking...this one will put hairs on your chest!

Gin Fix Cocktail:

Take one large tea-spoonful (0.5 cl) of powdered white sugar and dissolve in a little water.
2 Dashes of Raspberry Syrup (0.2 cl)
The juice of a quarter of a Lemon (1 cl)
1 wine glass of Hollands Gin (12 cl)

Method:

Fill up the glass two thirds full with shaved ice, stir thoroughly and ornament the top with berries in season. Old Tom gin may be used if preferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment