Monday, December 22, 2008

A Glimpse Of Things To Come...

Over the next few months, in addition to my usual rants and recipes, I will be researching and posting the Etymologies of some of my favorite drinks...with a couple of exceptions, I will focus mostly on the late 19th & early 20th Century era as I believe this to be the true "Age of the Cocktail." 

I digress...

I appreciate that although todays drinks are much more technically and scientifically advanced, with the never ending stream of high quality spirits available to us all (not counting Bacardi of course..) and the skill and knowledge of modern day Bartenders, I just cant help but appreciate the fantastic simplicity of something like the Old Fashioned or the Pegu Club, both are drinks that have stood the test of time even though their creators (or bars) have not. 
They are drinks that when mixed properly, allow you to define every aroma in the spirit, from the mellow sweetness of the bourbon to the bittersweet tang of the gin-cointreau mix. Incorporate this with bitters and the flavours are released on a whole new scale. These are the drinks that for taste, and sheer enjoyment...in my opinion...cannot be beaten.

Their simplicity defines their complexity...

I hope my research will be as informative to you as it will to me and, as usual, any input, feedback and especially knowledge, will be greatly appreciated...

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas...

Until next time...

Strainer

1 comment:

  1. I do love it when people appreciate THE cocktail....

    ReplyDelete